Reputations vs. reality

To: DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
Subject: Reputations vs. reality
From: interf!atlas!jhoward@uunet.UU.NET (James Howard)
Date: Thu, 13 May 93 11:09:17 EDT
People are always asking me, 'Aren't parts hard to get?', or, 'Aren't
parts expensive?' for my MGB.  The answer is no in both cases.  Almost
every part is available, and I can get most of them them over the
counter from Motorhead here in Arlington.  And after my Dad had to pay
$150 for a throttle position sensor for his Chevy, and a friend had to
pay $120 for a new door mirror, I really don't think parts are that
expensive.  My MGB has cost me 9 cents a mile over the course of
40,000 miles of ownership.  Granted, I saved a lot by doing all the
work on it myself, but I did a lot of work that was cosmetic, and not
absolutely necessary.  The IRS let's you assume you spent 29 cents a
mile to take care of depreciation, gas, etc.  Oh, and MGB don't
depreciate.

I know it's mean, but I laugh every time I see a late model Honda or
Toyota broken down by the side of the road.  Hell, last week I saw a
Lexus!

My father broke down and bought a new car for the first time in his
life last year, and let me tell you, it's a nice car, but it bugs me
that all the tender loving care I can give it consists of washing it
and changing the oil.  Nothing has broken, and if it did, we couldn't
fix it ourselves without voiding the warranty.  So, I work on getting
my car slowly back to new condition.

James