TR6 Transmission snafu

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6 Transmission snafu
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Thu, 6 May 93 09:05:58 EDT
The easy-out I used to try and remove the stuck cap on the anti-seize
tube just broke.  I'm really bummed about my TR6 trans...

I got a few replies from my yesterday query about what to do with my
blown TR6 trans, and after reading Terriann's reply, and John's reply,
I decided that I would go for the overdrive trans for $600.  But I had
already promised to buy a regular trans for $200 from this other
fellow.  So I decided to "do the right thing" and purchase the 4 speed
from the gentleman and then resell it, or keep it as a spare.  (My TR6
wouldn't break a part it knew I had a spare for :-) Anyway, a deal is
a deal.  NOT.  The guy calls me and says that he SOLD *my* trans, but
has another he could let me HAVE for $300.(!)  (less mileage, better
condition) I told him where he could put his trans and called for the
overdrive unit.  Isn't great how things work out?

So I call for the $600 trans.  Guess what?  It's been sold.  But they
have a reconditioned J type overdrive for $1000, firm...  Well, this
seems like a LOT of money to me as I could just about buy a car for
that.  (ok, not much of a car, but a car none the less... with a
trans)

CARLISLE.  I am going to Carlisle in Pennsylvania on Friday May 14.
It's the british car day there, and I'm hoping to find an overdrive
for a reasonable price.  I've about decided that I NEED overdrive, and
even if I ever sell the car, I'll be able to get my money back out of
the overdrive anyway.  Is anyone else heading out to Carlisle?  Any
other SOLers want to gather someplace?  I've never been to Carlisle,
but I hear that it is a good parts show, especially if you get there
early.

If anyone has an overdrive trans they would like to part with, let me
know.  I'm going to start calling some places out of state today...
I'm on the hunt.
---
He's got to make his own mistakes, And learn to mend the mess he makes.
He's old enough to know what's right, But young enough not to choose it.
                                                                -Rush

-Scotty