Re: Floor on 67 Alpine.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, louis@nil.mni.mcgill.ca
Subject: Re: Floor on 67 Alpine.
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 93 17:01:41 -0700
Louis,
The best thing to do is strip any rust you find to bare metal.  Just before
you paint there is a bare metal treatment that you put on that is
phosphoric acid based.  It kills and surface rust. This should not be
confused with Naval Jelley and the like.  This is normally blue, the
consistancy of water and oftern diluted with water.
Put the surface prep on per directions and quickly follow up with a
primer-sealer.  Follow that up with colour coat.  Since it is under the mat,
you do not need to deal with an exact colour match.

Now about the mats, Wet mats hold water and cause rust.  There are a couple of
approaches you can take.  One is to put undercoat over the paint and under
the matt.  You should pick an undercoating that goes on without pinholes,
is water proof and does not crack when dry.  Another approach is to
put the matt or carpet on with snaps.  Whenever you store the car, take up the
carpets and store them some place else.  Also, anytime the outside of the
car gets wet, take up the carpets, and make sure that they and the floor under-
neath are dry.

My TR3 is going back together with rubber matts unstead of carpet so they will
be easy to pull.  and they do not hold water.  And they are original equip.
on the TR3A (Why I should care when I'm making so many other mods, I don't
know).

Practical Classics Mag did a study on rust remover a number of years back.
They do as advertized for surface rust.  However, if there is ANY pitting,
it chemically treats the top most level and does not penitrate down below
to metal.  The result is a pocket of rust that keeps rusting under the
treated rust.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

TeriAnn