Cylinder Sleeving, UK Parts Suppliers

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Cylinder Sleeving, UK Parts Suppliers
From: border@nas.nasa.gov (Ryan A. Border)
Date: Tue, 4 May 93 16:18:20 -0700
Need a recommendation (or 2):

While overhauling my (Dunlop) brake master cylinder I noticed that the
wall has a slight ding running along it's length; due to improper
assembly by the PO at the last rebuild I suspect.  Anyway, it might
be something I could just hone out- but heck, this is the master
cylinder after all; and I'd rather not take chances.  Replacements
are a fortune, and since my parts car is an automatic (which uses a
clutch MC for brake/tranny), I don't have a spare.

So, I think I'd like to have this cylinder resleeved with stainless, or
maybe even brass (is there much difference?).  There are about 20 places
in Hemmings advertising this service- has anybody out there tried any
of them.  I'm looking for good places to go- and bad places to avoid.
For a real stretch, is there a place in the SF Bay Area that I could take it?

Secondly- I'd like to get parts catalogs from some UK parts suppliers.
For instance, I can't seem to find upper ball joints for my car here
in the US (I've tried XK's Unlimited, Welsh Jag, Moss, and even the local
import car parts places).  I'm guessing that these, and other odd parts,
might be easier to find in the UK.  Any pointers on places to try?

Oh yeah, this is a '59 Jag Mark 1.

Thanks-
* Ryan A. Border               border@nas.nasa.gov,   border@craywr.cray.com  *
* Cray Research Inc., On Site Applications Analyst 415-604-4633  o__ o__      *
* Numerical Aerodynamic Simulator, NASA Ames Research Center    _.>/-.>/'_    *
* Never trust someone who can count to 1023 on their fingers.  ( ) \---\(*)...*