XKE Info

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: XKE Info
From: kmwheeler@ualr.edu
Date: Tue, 04 May 1993 18:51:17 EDT
Folks have asked...

The E-type that has been offered to me is a 1962 convertible, a 3.8 (I think).
It did run five years ago, but is pretty rough.  It looked good when they got
itbut had a bodged paint job that quickly soured.  It may still run.  They're
asking $3000.  Sorry, but I won't disclose where it is or who is selling it.
Unless it is a total heap, I'm going to work my a** off this summer so I can
get it.  It is not being advertised.  I will hopefully get to see it Saturday.

Back down to the real world now...

My daily driver (good old '76 B) is back on the road, as I said earlier, but
is developing a clonking rear axle.  I'm sure it is the rear axle as I replaced
the propshaft and whilst the 'shaft was out I turned the input flange which had
a lot of play.

I have four rear axles, two set up for splined hubs, and two for steel wheels.
One of the steel wheel axles is on the street car.  One is from a wrecked parts
car.  The wrecked one's input flange was damaged slightly.  I was planning on
swapping the axles and hubs from the parts car axle to the race car (its wire
wheels are shot).  The other wire wheel axle is on a parts car.  I will check
this one and see what kind of shape it is in, and do another axle swap, and
put it in my street car.  These are all non-overdrive tube-type rear axles,
which I understand are difficult to rebuild.  If I have to pay to have one
rebuilt, what is a reasonable fee?  I changed dif oil recently, and it was
low and dirty, but didn't seem to have any flakes of metal in it.

I am planning on selling the aforementioned parts car.  It has typical rusted
floors, and no seats.  It does run, and I have a clear title.  The engine
looks pretty grungy under the rocker cover.  It is a 1975 model.

If I didn't have other considerations, I'd think about putting wire wheels on
the streetcar.  All the wheels I have (10 of 'em) are shot.

Well, I think I'll go watch the ale ferment for a while.

"sing blue silver"

Keith
kmwheeler@ualr.edu
senior, Computer Engineering Technology