rain-x

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: rain-x
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 92 14:07 EDT
> Has anyone used that RAIN-X stuff on their windshield?  It seems like
> this would work well at night in the rain.  I wonder if it works
> on softop plexi-glass windows too.

I can certainly attest to that RAIN-X really works. When I used it on the
Scimitar, I just put in on the driver's side of the wondscreen, and sure
enough during the next rainstorm, the water beaded up and was blown away
from the windscreen - I hardly used the wipers.

So I applied it to the Midget, and was dissapponited, because it hardly
made a difference. The reason I think is the rake of the windscreen. On
the Midget it is almost 90 deg vertical and when the water beads, the wind
has nowhere to push it, the wipers push the water to the edge of the glass.

There is one big problem with RAIN-X though, under certain conditions, a thin
"foggy" film develops on the glass. This is especially true on cold
winter mornings and at night when there is a slight drizzle in the air.
Because of these problems, I have stopped using it.

Gerry