Castrol British Car Classic, Portland ME

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Castrol British Car Classic, Portland ME
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1992 15:01 EDT
Sunday, 13-Sep-1992 dawned bright and sunny, a perfect day for a spin in the
TR6 with the hood down. It was also the day of the 1992 Castrol Downeast
Classic in Portland ME.

The ride up to Portland from Boston was rather uneventful, we took a
combination of country roads and Turnpike to get to the site. On the ME
Turnpike, we passed several caravans of interesting British Iron, and we had no
doubt that they were headed to the same destination that we were.

In all, at least 175 various cars setup for display, and others were seen
milling about the area. There were about 40 Triumphs, and an equal number of
MG's. Jaguar, Bently, Austin Healey and the other LBC's were also well
represented. Notable vehicles present:

A beautiful 1938 Bentley. Not sure of the model, but it was a roadster. This
vehicle won best of show. A Jag XK150S. This car was probably 98 points (out of
100.) The owner spent a great deal of time on detail work, the motor was
literally shiny. An AC/Bristol Ace and an AC/Bristol Acecea(sp?). Both were
very nice, the Acecea is restored, but the owner always drives to whatever
events that he enters (no trailers for this guy!) There was also a 98 point
1932 MG J2. I have seen all of these cars before with the exception of the
XK150S.

I posted my SOL logo on my car, but I didn't run into any SOLers during the
day.

Time to start planning for next year, probably the 2nd weekend in Sept.

Note: this was three years in a row of PERFECT LBC weather for this event. It
was 72 F with a very light breeze. There were literally no clouds either.
Didn't have any overheating cars or anything.