3 days till Palo Alto, ready report

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 3 days till Palo Alto, ready report
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 92 06:09:58 PDT
          Three days and counting;

     Sprite progress; none. Thought about it tho.

     Riley progress; Hoo boy. Let me tell you about this
     water pump thing- Took all I could get apart to a
     microabrasive blast shop yesterday at lunch. The
     proprietor & I had a good laugh over all the buildup &
     general design of this component. He didn't have a
     press and didn't want the liability of destroying the
     impeller/shaft/pulley, so I took this part back to the
     shop to press it apart myself. I managed to get the
     impeller off, but not w/o breaking in two a small carbon
     spacer ring (hey, what's things thing do, anyway ?), and
     so dropped the impeller off after work. Much to my
     surprise he'd had all the other parts done, and they
     looked beautiful ! We went on about the design & mfg.
     of these pieces, how ancient the design was, etc. and
     while talking thru how the sliding-collar thermostat
     works, we realized that in adding the heater and
     associated hook-up pipes, the P.O. had brazed in the
     feed line at a point that would become blocked when the
     thermostat opened !! Consequently the heater would only
     have water circulating thru it when the engine was
     below operating temp, but once warmed up would be
     bypassed. As the shop owner said, "someone didn't have
     a very clear picture of how this thing works". At home
     last night I managed to press the pulley off, and so
     now just have to knock the bearings out & match them
     up, and I reviewed my Riley books to see how the heater
     was *correctly* hooked up. Apparently it was an option
     in '48, and the only pictures I found didn't say where
     the H/U points were. Oh well, at least I know where
     they don't go. I'll keep you posted-

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com