MGC info

To: british-cars@hoosier, gfd@akguc.att.com
Subject: MGC info
From: william sadler <wsadler@silver.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1992 09:22:37 -0500
The MGC can run in value from $2500-$10,000 depending on the state of
restoration.  A GT is slightly less than a roadster in general.  69 models
are usually more expensive than 68s because of some changes made to
the car that year that basically fixed most of its reported problems.
The 69 cars also have the seats with headrests.

I'm just pulling this off of the top of my head, but a ratty car might
go for $3000 in running shape.  A runner that only needs a little mechanical
work and a little trim work, paint, etc., would probably go for $4000.
Fully restored and/or modified cars are worth anywhere from $5000-$10k
depending on the condition of the restoration.  Look in Hemmings
to get an idea.

None problems are basically the same as with a B (rust, brakes, etc.)
The C is prone to overheating and so you should check for head problems
and engine problems in general since parts are expensive and sometimes
hard to find.

Body pieces are also more expensive from the cockpit forward.  Everything
back of the cockpit is the same as on a B.  The wheels are 15" 72
spoke instead of 60 spoke.  Sometimes you will see minilites instead
of wires.  A lot of the cars have overdrive or an automatic transmission
that add value to the car.

Suspension is torsion bar and the car rides higher than a B.  Oversteer
was the big problem reported by the press when the car came out, but
4 extra pounds in teh front wheels does wonders for getting rid of this.
Carbs are HS-6 not HS-4.  If you are in California make sure the
smog pump works because they are not cheap if you can find one.  Usually
the emissions systems are gone totally or have to be removed.

There is a shop in England called Bromsgrove (in Bromsgrove) that handles
remanufacture of MGC parts.  Many new parts are becoming available
all of the time.  There is also a good MGC register that will assist with
parts and provides technical information and other helpful information.
Victoria Britsh lists MGC parts in one of their catalogs, but I have had
some problems with them because I have a 69 and they seem to have only
67-68 parts.  They also substitute B parts incorrectly on occassion.

Mail me and I'll send your firend the address of the register if he
buys the car.  They are fun and will retain their value better than
a B in the long run.  The register advertises regularly in Hemmings.

Will
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c
c  _    _   ___    ___           Ceeasaurus!                      c
c | \  / | /   \  /   \  Will    | wsadler@copper.ucs.indiana.edu c
c |  \/  ||   __ |       Sadler  | or will@cica.indiana.edu       c
c |      | \___/  \___/       Bloomington, Indiana                c
c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c