re: Car dies - help (Part 2)

To: tom@ismdqa.intel.com
Subject: re: Car dies - help (Part 2)
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 8 Sep 1992 13:34 EDT
>Well,  I have traced the stalling problem on my '79 Spitfile to the
>ignition system.  Using a timing light, I determined that when the car dies
>and won't start, there is no spark.  I also checked the voltage at the
>input terminals to the ignition coil.  Nada.  However, if I pull the
>connections from the coil, I do get 12V at the wires.  Is this enough
>evidence to just replace the coil or is there something else I should
>check?  I seem to remember that not too long ago there was a discussion about
>how to check a coil or if it could be checked.  Does anyone remember if
>there was a concensus?
>
>Also,  comming off the input leads to the coil are wires running to a metal
>case transistor looking thing mounted in a mondo heat sink.  From this, A
>cable runs to the amplifier box (???) mounted under the distributer.  I
>checked the coil input voltage after disconnecting the transistor wires and
>saw the same characteristics described above. (ie: no voltage when leads are
>connected to the coil, 12V when not connected).  Is this unit still
>suspect?  I really don't want to replace parts unless there is some solid
>evidence that they need replacing.
>
>Thanks for responses and suggestions from my last post and for any
>additional information.

The ignitiaon amplifier has been a problem in Spitfires, often with the
same symptoms you are having....car dies, then after a time it can be
started.  The problem seems to be heat related, especially due to the
location of the ignition amplifier.  The lack of a 12 volt reading at the
coil may be due to the points being closed which puts a ground on the
other side of the coil (just hazarding a guess).  The coil I believe is
the cheaper item to replace and you might want to do that first
because it is that much cheaper.

Keep us posted.....
Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com