Car dies - help (Part 2)

Subject: Car dies - help (Part 2)
From: tom@ismdqa.intel.com (Tom Soukup ~)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 92 9:42:49 PDT
Well,  I have traced the stalling problem on my '79 Spitfile to the
ignition system.  Using a timing light, I determined that when the car dies
and won't start, there is no spark.  I also checked the voltage at the
input terminals to the ignition coil.  Nada.  However, if I pull the
connections from the coil, I do get 12V at the wires.  Is this enough
evidence to just replace the coil or is there something else I should
check?  I seem to remember that not too long ago there was a discussion about
how to check a coil or if it could be checked.  Does anyone remember if
there was a concensus?

Also,  comming off the input leads to the coil are wires running to a metal
case transistor looking thing mounted in a mondo heat sink.  From this, A
cable runs to the amplifier box (???) mounted under the distributer.  I
checked the coil input voltage after disconnecting the transistor wires and
saw the same characteristics described above. (ie: no voltage when leads are
connected to the coil, 12V when not connected).  Is this unit still
suspect?  I really don't want to replace parts unless there is some solid
evidence that they need replacing.

Thanks for responses and suggestions from my last post and for any
additional information.

Tom