First cars & roll bars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: First cars & roll bars
From: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 92 12:22:38 PDT
          This recent string about fathers, first cars &
     roll bars sounded very familiar, and I just now
     remembered why;

          When I first got my license I was living in
     Florida with my father. The car I used to get my
     license was a Nash Metropolitan of questionable
     mechanical integrity, affectionately known as "The
     Batmobile". After my father had to retrieve me and the
     broken-down Nash several times, he suggested I find
     something "more reliable". What he had in mind was
     something American. What I found was a Series II
     Sunbeam Alpine. Much to his chagrin I would not be
     dissuaded, and he finally allowed me to buy the car.
     (Luckily the seller *wanted* the Nash in trade). The
     only condition of Sunbeam ownership was that I had to
     have a roll bar installed before I could drive it.
          Thankfully Dad had a plan, as locating a rollbar
     for this car would surely prove to be a daunting task
     for a 17yr old wanker in No. Florida. At the time my
     father worked at "Round Trampoline", which was the
     company that made the Jog-N-Tramp mini-trampoline. They
     built all of the tramp frames at Dad's building, which
     meant they had miles of steel tubing, benders, welders,
     well - you get the picture.
          One Saturday morning we drove the 'Beam over to
     R-T and proceeded to build the most creative 6-point
     rollcage you've ever seen. Dad was happy, and I had a
     ROLL CAGE ! I later found out that my father's concern
     was because when he was younger he'd had his girlfriend
     get killed when she'd rolled her un-rollbar equipped
     big Healey. It was Dad's way of saying he cared,
     automotive style.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com