Wanted: Used Roll Bar for 1500 Midget

To: RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject: Wanted: Used Roll Bar for 1500 Midget
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1992 11:27:39 -0700

Ric Golen scribed:>
> 78 Midget, I've decided that since my oldest son will be getting his
> license in 4 years, and that its looking like 4 years is what it is
> going to take given my schedule to get this car into shape, it would
> be a great first car for him.

I have a kid about the same age as yours, and he is insistent that the
MGB will be his when he gets his license. I do not have a problem with
this attitude, in fact I kind of like it. When I was a kid I did not
want anything from my Dad, did not want anything to be like my Dad, we
had one of those hate/hate relationships. But one thing that I did get
from him that I am very thankful for regardless of the relationship, was
that in order to drive a car one must first be able to fix most anything
that goes wrong with them.

Well I have carried this over to my sons, if they want a car while they
still live at home, and especially oneof my precious British Sports
Cars, then they must be able to fix them. So when I work on the thing
(in Austin) both of my boys get to help and get lessons on turning
wrenches, what for, and why. They know what most all of the parts on the
car does, and even on some parts they can even do the R&R, Bruce my
oldest can do tune-ups if I remove the distributor for him, as he is not
tall enough (yet) to reach into the bonnet to get at the distributor.

My point or $0.02 is that, and I'm sure you probably have already done
this, to carry on our hobby we must instill in our kids the desire and
need to maintain our/their vehicles so when they reach our age there
will still be these antique/classics cars on the road for people to
admire and for us/them to enjoy driving. It is unfortunate that there
are wankers out there today that can't even check the oil because they
do not know where the dipstick is.

Bruce...

"I value little my own opinions, but value just as little those of others."
                                                                -- Montaigne