Emissions inspections (more)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Emissions inspections (more)
From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 92 08:32:07 -0600
Since policy on emissions inspections is set jointly by states and the
federal government, I thought it might be useful to compile a list of
information about state programs, especially as they apply to older
(say, pre-1975) cars.  I volunteer to compile a list if you will each
send me the information.  I suggest the following format, with Colorado's
system as an example.  "Type" could be idle only, idle/2500 RPM, equipment
(inspection to ensure that original equipment is intact), and/or smoke.
Please explain any other entries under "Notes."  "$Test" is the state-
mandated limit on test cost.  "$Repair" is the amount you have to spend
on repairs to get a waiver.  Indicate any uncertainty with question marks.

Please, don't everyone in California send me the same information.  One
expert would be fine (you decide :-)).

Wayne

State  Area            Years     Type          Centralized?    $Test  $Repair
CO     Front range     68-74     Idle & smoke  No               $10    $??

Notes:  "Collector" status available to pre-1966? vehicles, multi-year
        registration and one-time idle test required (ugly license plate.)