max. tyre size for spitfire

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: max. tyre size for spitfire
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 92 08:02:47 CDT
First, thanks to all who responded to the Weber carb. problem.
I hope to try some of the solutions offered tonight.  Will
report a.s.a.p.

Here is another problem, much easier.  I would like to put
wider tyres on the Spitfire for no other reason than to give
it a lower, wider look.  The question is what is the widest
tyre that will safely mount on stock Spitfire rims?  The
calculations below are what I've used.

Recommended tyre is:

155/80 R 13

which has a profile height of 124mm (155 * 0.80 = 124).

To keep this same height, plus or minus a bit, the following
sizes will produce the same vertical clearance.  As the
Spitfire has lots of lateral clearance, that is, not prone to
rubbing, the limiting criteria seems to be the rim width.

These tyres all have approximately a 124mm height profile:

155/80 R 13   (124mm)
165/75 R 13   (124mm)
175/70 R 13   (123mm)
185/65 R 13   (120mm)
205/60 R 13   (123mm)  This one just might be a bit stupid...

I know discussion of tyre sizes is a reoccuring infection on
british-cars but I appreciate your advice.  Thanks,

Rick

     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, untill they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...