Dead Digest, Bad Bumpers, Rover Retro

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dead Digest, Bad Bumpers, Rover Retro
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1992 08:57:59 -0400
First, to everyone who *can* read this, it appears that the main
brit-car list is working, but the digest is hung up. You might
forward some stuff to friends who are on the digest, so they
don't go into complete withdrawl before mjb gets back.

martine@informix.com scribed:
> My GT6+ came with a bent and slightly torn front bumper (bumper
> fits, but looks kinda shabby).  Since the bumper rides above (and
> kinda over) the turn signals, I've been thinking about running
> without it.

GT6 bumpers were never much more than show pieces anyhow- why not
just do what looks good? (No bumper works too.)

Got your $40K+ ready?
This months Saftey Fast! (magazine of the MG Car Club, UK) has a
Rover ad on the back with an actual picture of the "MG RV8". I
guess that makes it official. The picture reminds me of the early
Miata special edition ad- It's a bit fuzzy, and the car is BRG with
a tan interior. (What else?) It's a direct side view, so some features
are hard to pick out.  While you can still tell it's based on an MGB
pan, the lines are new. The doors are probably the most similar part, but
it's not at all as obvious as some of the MGB based limited production
cars of the 60's.  It has modern, contoured, body coloured "bumpers",
no longer ugly add-ons, but soomthly integrated into the styling,
that look like reasonable air dams. The headlights appear to sit
lower, resulting in a smoother, blended front wing line, and the bonnet
looks to have some moulding/bulging. The rear wing is no longer straight
along the top, but arcs above the wheel well, and then down some towards
the rear. While there is some of that currently popular sculpted moulding
along the rocker, the wheel wells aren't prominantly flared ala the
factory alloy MGC GT's, etc, but are almost certainly wider. It's
got 90's areodynamics, doesn't look like a Japaneese jellybean, and
has a lot of chacateristics of triditional british roadsters.

This just in- there's a picture in August road & track too.

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!