Progress?

To: lro@stratus.com
Subject: Progress?
From: dixon@fourfold.ocunix.on.ca (dixon kenner)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1992 00:57:14 -0400
I figured a short note on progress, or the lack thereof, might be of
interest to some.  None of the measures suggested thus far have worked.
The latest addative to the first cylinder, naval jelly has not succeeded
in freeing this one piston, though the various efforts have managed to
clear away the rust build up above the first ring.  I gather that my
problem is that I cannot get any "lubricant" past this first ring with
the engine in the vehicle.  I have not really bothered with the other
three pistons yet...

Not to worry, I have an interim solution.  I have managed to locate a
rebuilt, running engine for $CDN500.00.  Even better, it is sitting at
a garage in another 109" with a rotten frame and only some 50 miles
away.  (There are an estimated 72 Land Rovers in the Ottawa area.  Not
bad considering that they only sold some 16,000 in North America.  What
is disturbing about the 16,000 figure is that Rover claims to have sold
19,000 Range Rovers here.  More Range Rovers than Land Rovers?  <ack!>)

So what to do?  Well, the hydraulics hubs etc. are all going to be
completed and the Land Rover towed to this garage.  Using his engine
crane, and maybe some tools, the unco-operative engine in my LR will
be lifted out and placed in the back of the LR.  The other engine will
be lifted out of its former home and dropped directly into my waiting
engine compartment.  Upon completion, I shall drive home in a working
rebuilt 109".  :-)  :-)  :-)

This shall leave me with two engines for the LR.  (I have five extras
for the Mini, a second for the Jeep (anyone want the hunk of rust? <grin>)
You can never have enough spare engines...)  Over time I can get the
original engine to run again and be already for the future demise of
this replacement.

BTW,  Anyone know what one of these things weigh?  A lot I know, but
I am curious.  I recently saw a picture of someone trying to drop an
engine in with the transmission attached.  I didn't think you could
easily do that with a Land Rover.  Maybe they got a surprise...

Rgds,

Dixon

--
dixon kenner, dixon@fourfold.ocunix.on.ca
FourFold Symmetry, Breckenridge, Quebec, Canada