Re: Throw away...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Throw away...
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 92 16:07:22 EDT
|Date: 7-17-92  4:06pm
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:INTERNET
|Subj: Re: Throw away...
Tim Mullen sez:
>but when was the last time that you saw a
>trashed Mercedes or Italian Exotic? Price of entry seems to keep out
>those who cannot (or will not) afford the maintenance.
     I own a pseudo-italian exotic (Alfa gtv6) and I must admit that
it's not for the neglectful owner.  Although it seems that the British
cars can take more abuse than my Alfa.  It seems that there are always
stories being posted about old brit. cars that ran great and then they
were taken apart for a rebuild and the internal condition was awful.  I
love my Alfa, but it seems that it wouldn't be forgiving if I didn't
change the oil every 3000 miles or didn't top off the transaxle every
few weeks etc.

>Ever notice that many (no most...) of the people that ran out and
>bought the Miatas when they first came out, just "had to have a
>convertible sports car", now drive around with the top up and the A/C
>on all the time?...   I see this with British roadsters too...

    I rarely see a miata with the top down anymore even the windows down
for that matter.  We'll see who cares about a miata in 20 years.

    Sorry for the rambling, it's kinda slow and a computer keeps calling
on our phone and beeping at me.

    Dean

P.S. - I'm tainted forever now.  I was sitting in my midget yesterday
(taking a break) and was think about stowing the hood (not putting down
the top) and what I should do about bolting the wings back on.