MGB rear end ratios

To: sanders@triton.unm.edu
Subject: MGB rear end ratios
From: cat@buast9.bu.edu (James Howard)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 92 19:47:06 -0400
   From: sanders@triton.unm.edu
   Date: Tue, 14 Jul 92 08:25:04 -0600

   I'm following up a suggestion by sfisher to reconsider my MGB's rear
   axle gearing....
   I am interested in increasing the rear end (numerical) gearing in my
   69 MGB.

    1b) is it really such a pain to disassemble/reassemble tube axles?

Yes.

   2) how easy is it to swap out a tube axle for a banjo axle? (for wire wheels)

It is very easy.  I can't remember what all you need to change, but I know
you have to change the U-bolts and the other hardware that holds it to
the springs.  I am not sure about the arms for the shocks.

    2b) any other advantages/disadvantages of banjo over tube? weight?

The banjo axle is lighter, but it is not as strong.  However, it is plenty
strong enough for an MGB.

I hope you either have overdrive or you never drive on the interstate.

James