Re: British<->American misunder

To: british-cars%hoosier.utah.edu@uunet.uu.net
Subject: Re: British<->American misunder
From: archer@hsi86.hsi.com (Garry Archer)
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 92 11:27:01 -0400
Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com> writes:
> one of them remarked:  "I see you got a new bicycle."  I replied in a huff:
> "It's a MOTORCYCLE" before realizing that to Brits "bicycle" doubtless means
> "motorcycle" if the context is right.

Jerry,
        Seems strange that he would say bicycle.  Are you sure he said
"bicycle" and not "bike" (which would be short for "motorbike")?  (I'm not
questioning your hearing integrity, BTW :-)

This Englishman would say "motorbike" actually!  Probably that's what
your visitor meant to say (if he said "bicycle")?

        Cheers!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert