Re: Tiny Little Bubbles!!

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>,
Subject: Re: Tiny Little Bubbles!!
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1992 16:02:53 -0400
Roland Dudley scribed:
 Subject: Tiny Little Bubbles!!
> up the garage for a few days.  Are there any magic potions that will
> give old Connolly leather a new lease on life?

I was about to say Lexol, until SF brought up the Hyde food. (Lots of it)

> Recently I've noticed a glob of grease collecting on the floor under the
> rubber accordion shaped boot that seals the rack and pinion steering
> unit.  I was at O'Connor Classics recently and asked about this.  I was
> told that the boot-seal is actually an oil reservoir that's filled when

That's the spec- 90 Wt Gear oil. The fitting is supposed to be an
oil nipple, not grease, and most racks don't even have the fitting,
you get to pump the oil into the end of the boot. Which answeres your
next question. Many people ignore oiling the rack, or worse, run around
with split boots, no oil and lots of dirt, eventually resulting in
an expensive rebuild of a very reliable component. It can take a lot
of abuse.

> respoking

PLEASE, A SPOKE SOURCE?
I'd still welcome a generic source for wheel spokes. I can get MGB
and T-series at a cost aproaching having it done, or pay Dayton even
more, but none of the usual Brit-parts sources carry the spokes for
the PA side-laced 19" wheels (Maybe in England tho, but not on the list)
There's got to be a FACTORY somewhere, who sells spokes at your length
& a reasonable cost.

> clutch slave.  The problem is that I've never been able to get the
> brakes properly bled.  Try as I may, I just can't seem get rid of the
> sponginess.  I started with a completely dry system.

[list of things deleted]

Are all of your brake shoes adjusted up nice and close? Nothing pushing
back on the caliper pistons? Don't overlook the mechanical slop in
the system.

I've heard of kits with wrong seals (MC) where the return hole stayed
covered or the likes. I've also seen power systems pump air into the
MC through bad seals, but that shouldn't happen on a standard system.
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett              (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!