Re: Tiny Little Bubbles!!

To: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Tiny Little Bubbles!!
From: Scott Fisher <sfisher@wsl.dec.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 92 10:54:48 PDT
    Are there any magic potions that will
    give old Connolly leather a new lease on life?

Connolly Hide Food is the obvious choice.  Available at finer
automotive emporia around the world; PEI in Cupertino Village
(corner of Wolfe & Homestead, around the back) is probably
closest to you.  They have a cleaner and a dressing to keep it
moist; you'll probably want both.

Back when I used to have leather seats, I learned that there
are two basic types of leather used in auto upholstery: Connolly
and German.  The German style is less supple, has a harder finish,
and requires a slightly different treatment; Lexol is the recommended
leather dressing for this style (which is also the style used in most
US cars, and in the less expensive British cars that use leather, such
as Healeys and the MG/TR seats of the Sixties).

Connolly leather is tanned in a different way, giving it a softer
feel and a more velvety finish (sounds like a nice Pinot Noir) that
requires a slightly different set of oils to keep it going.  For that,
Connolly make their own product, called Hide food, which I believe
also comes in a cleaner and a conditioner (sounds like Liquid Prell).
Connolly leather is used on modern Jaguars and Aston Martins, as well
as on classic versions of the same cars.

    I know British Wire Wheels can do them but the idea is to
    not have to haul these four heavy and bulky hulks that far.  Any local
    suggestions?  Zenith Wire Wheel, perhaps?  I'd prefer some place
    relatively close since more than one trip may be required.

O'Connor is the drop-off point for BWW here in the San Jose area.  They
don't appear to add anything to Bruce's prices.  Talk to Mike or J. R.
and see what they tell you.  Assume about $60-70 a wheel as a ballpark
figure; the Cobra wheels have what, 72 spokes?  The price for my 48-spokers
is about $55.  BWW figures on replacing up to two spokes at that price,
and then charges something like a buck a spoke over that if needed.

    The second major item (actually items) are a radiator boil out and
    rebuild.  [. . .]  Any South Bay area suggestions?

Palo Alto Radiator, on Emerson in downtown PA.

    Finally my major-at-the-moment-problem.  [ . . .]  Besides, this
    sponginess seems worse to me; and I didn't have to pump to get a good
    hard pedal before.

You don't mention what kind of fluid you used.  Is it silicone or LMA?
Silicone practically guarantees a spongy pedal.

I've got a meeting to run to now, but I'll think about this some more
and write back later...

--Scott