Re: British-American translation

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British-American translation
From: rush@mnementh.Metaphor.COM (Ed Rush)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 92 11:59:57 PDT
acg@hermes.dlogics.com sez:

>* This is kind of nebulous... Near Side refers to the Curb ("Kerb") Side of
>  the car, Off Side is the other (driver's) side, but of course in England the
>  positions are opposite those of the U.S. since the home country models are
>  right hand drive.

Uh, just to be meticulous, "near side" and "off side" come from the days
when vehicles had fewer horsepower -- one, to be exact.  The near side
(left) is the side from which you *always* mount the horse.  The off side
is not.
  | Ed Rush, not speaking for Metaphor Computers, Mtn. View, CA |
  |  UUCP: [...!{apple|decwrl}!]metaphor!rush                   |
  |  Internet: rush@metaphor.com                                |
  | My Macintosh doesn't go out in the rain.                    |