re: RHD Landies

To: gerry@probe.att.com
Subject: re: RHD Landies
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 7 Jul 1992 10:53 EDT
>> How the heck did it get to the USA, anyway?
>
>It's not that hard, IF you know the right rules !!!!. All you need is a friend
>who is NOT a resident of the US, but is here on a H1 or H2 visa. You see, when
>you apply for work in the States you get a visa for 1 year (renewable for up
>to 5 years). When you come to the States, on a visa you can bring any personnel
>possesion that you want, which includes a car. If the car is still here after
>1 year, then you have to register it - this is when the REAL FUN starts, but it
>is possible, again if you know the right rules and have filled in the right
>pieces of paper. That is how I got my Scimitar in the country, and why 8 years
>later I still have it.
>
>Gerry

Gerry is right, I looked at a 1974 Fuel Injected, RHD, TR-6 that
had been imported by an individual that came here on a work permit
and never left.  The car was registered in NY State and hadn't
run afoul of any state regulations at that point.  The person
that brought it here commented that when she went to pick it up
at customs, they waived it right through because of the work permit
and the "expectation" that the car would be exported again.

I looked at the car around 1985 or 86, and that was about 5 years after
it had been imported.

Seems like once a car comes in to the US that way, the customs
folks never follow up ( :-) to see if it is infact ever
exported.

Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com