Re: Extra Cobra Chassis

To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Subject: Re: Extra Cobra Chassis
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 92 10:41:07 pdt
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
> Date:     Thu, 11 Jun 92  13:05:15 EDT
> Subject:  Extra Cobra Chassis
>
> |Date: 6-11-92  1:04pm
> |From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
> |  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:INTERNET
> |Subj: Extra Cobra Chassis
>     Someone told me about an article in either R&T or C&D about Carrol
> Shelby having 43 "extra", "original" Cobra chassis.  He said he's giving
> one to each of his grand kids and selling the rest.  Anyone know
> anything about this, or is this a joke ?

The May 25, 1992 issue of AUTOWEEK has an article about this.  He is
actually building a limited number of 1965 specs 427 SCs with these
unused chassis, or so Shelby claims.  The author even took a test drive
in the prototype (pictured on mag cover).  I had a few comments to post
about this but just never got around to it.  The more interesting
article to me is the one following it about the stolen 289 Cobra that
was recovered after 20 years.  It's interesting to me because I knew
the original owner when he still had the car and also because I thought
I saw a for sale ad for this car in the Chicago area a couple of years
ago.  I'm still looking through back issues of magazines for the ad.

Roland