$250 for XMAS

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: $250 for XMAS
From: btufts@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 91 16:54:20 EST

Don't spend that money yet! You may be visited by Murphy too!
Having an unexpected $100. come my way I too was contemplating what to
spend it on. That was until Sunday morning, returning from a weekend in
VT.  Coming down a steep hill I saw the car in front of me loose it and
proceed to do aa 360 (and then some). Black ice!!. No sooner did I see
him start, then I started sliding.  Deciding that a ditch was better than
hitting him I slowly went off into it. Luckily I didn't hit him, and he didn't
hit the guy already in the ditch. I got out with 4WD, and managed to pull
out the guy in front of me, but the other guy was buried (a tow truck already
had been called).  Just when I thought I got out scott-free I noticed the
position of the steering wheel.. cocked about 45 degress off (but at least
it didn't seem to pull to one side). Well it turned out to be a bent (and
well worn) tierod. And the front end needed re-alignment, and while I was
there 2 tires were pretty bad.

Bottom line: my $100 windfall paled against the $350 bill ($212 for the two
tires). Oh well, it could of been much worse if I hit the guy in front (we
were all very lucky on that steep hill!!) Anyways, so much for having extra
money to play with. But at least the blow has been softened!

Now you wouldn't care to donate that $250?  :-) :-)

-Bob T.