re: electrical/battery questions.

To: DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Subject: re: electrical/battery questions.
From: whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 23 Dec 1991 9:52 EST
DW asks:
>The new 12V battery i put in the B GT went dead the other day and left me
>stranded way out in the boonys at a house where I have been house sitting.
>
>Why did it go flat??  I took some readings as follows: With battery charged,
>pos lead conected and neg lead disconected; I got a reading of 13 volts when
>the volt meter was attached to the neg bat terminal and earth strap.
>Nothing in the car was switched on. With meter conected as above, I got no
>current reading (meter is in increments of 1 amps so its not very sensitive)
>and a reading of about> 10K ohms.  This tells me that somewhere I have a
>short????
>I thought It should be 0volts and infinate resistance????

You are correct.  Unless there is some type of electrical
connection (Does your radio have a clock and/or is it a
digital type that always requires a connection to maintain the
digital memory settings?) that is still there when everything is OFF,
then you should NOT have gotten any voltage reading.

Sounds like there may be a high resistance electrical path that
is draining the battery of the long haul.  I'd check for the
following:

With the car completely off.

1 - With the battery completely disconnected, measure from the
positive cable connection (the cable, not the battery) to ground
with an ohmeter.  It should read INFINITE.  If it does not, then
there is, as mentioned above, an electrical path that is discharging
the battery even when the car is completely turned off.

It could be that the electrical connection (eg. to the radio) is OK,
but your situation was made worse by the old (and loose) fanbelt.

Keep us posted.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!taichi!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com