re: restore

To: D.DERCOLE@qut.edu.au
Subject: re: restore
From: whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 23 Dec 1991 9:43 EST
Dom asks about his Spitfire restoration:
>       When the time comes to strip the paint off I had hot
>       tanking in mind. But I was talking to a guy at a body
>       shop about the idea and he told me that yes you will
>       get the best results from that method with one drawback.
>       He said chemicals get into all the nooks and crannys e.g.
>       seams, folds, sills and soforth. When time comes to rustproof,
>       the rustproofing is unable to get into thoses places and
>       will eventually rust.
>
>       Is this the case or is he just a bit behind the times as
>       regards to how well they clean body parts after being dipped.

I've heard and read very good reports about the Redi-strip
process (they always run ads in Hemmings).  Why not call
up the nearest one and ask them.  I belive the magazine
"Classic Auto Restorer" did a write-up several issues (years?)
ago also.

Also, the probelm, even if it is true, may not be a concern if
the car is not in a daily use mode.  If it is being used only
as a hobby vehicle (You know, nice days, weekend fun runs,
car club events, etc.) and it isn't, therefore, reidily exposed
to moisture, then the rust will not likely appear (at least not
for a very long time.)  Remember, rust needs moisture to happen
and if the surface(s) remain essentially dry, they won't rust,
at least not like they wood if exposed to daily driving extremes.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE
Bill
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!taichi!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com