Re: Triumph makes AutoWeek!!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph makes AutoWeek!!
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 91 14:34:47 -0800
Daren Stone writes:

>     >>What ??? You mean it wasn't something like the Pacer
>     XT or '68 Vista Cruiser ?? Time was once long ago (when

Oddly enough, one of my charitable acts this holiday season will be
fixing up my folks' '69 Vista Cruiser (Rocket 350 & Turbo-Hydramatic --
and you can sure tell it's a V8 when you punch it into passing gear!).  Of
course, that's if I have time after straightening out Dad's handywork on
his '78 GMC pickup and doing a bit of ressurection on the RX-4... .  And
to think I used to wonder why they were so happy at the prodigal's
return!         8^)

Of course, the other question is what are they going to do with four
vehicles when California's heinous registration law goes into effect on
2 January... .

OK, ok, obligatory brit-car bit:  The Europa's still on jackstands in
the garage, waiting for me to find someone to manufacture new rear-hub
bearing spacers (thanks again for the specs Phil!).  The only use it's
seen in the last month has been as an auxiliary starting system for the
Plymouth (electrical trouble on an American classic -- I don't wanna
talk about it).

On paint -- I'd be way too embarrassed to reveal details on what I used
to paint the Europa, but at least it looks 110% better than when I
bought it.  One misadventure to relate, mostly for Phil:  Never use a
1650-RPM sander/grinder on a GRP body!  (Luckily I tried it on a repaired
area first.)  I ended up wet-sanding with a low-speed air sander and doing
a lot of hand-sanding to get the old paint off.

I do have to make a plug for 3M's Imperial Hand Glaze (3M part
number 051131-05990) -- really amazing stuff!  I don't know what's in
it, apart from the "contains no silicone" statement on the bottle and
the fact that it smells like coconut oil, but it can take a passable but
somewhat dull finish and make it shine like glass!

Happy holidays to you and yours...

-coryc

|    >> Disclaimer: I speak for Sequent only in our hardware manuals <<
|||Cory R. Carpenter, Tech Writer |"What a terrible thing to have lost one's
| |
|Sequent Computer Systems, Inc. | mind.  Or not to have a mind at all.  How    |
| Beaverton, Oregon, USA        | true that is."  -- Vice President Dan Quayle,|
|    coryc@sequent.com          |    speaking to the United Negro College Fund |