RE>RE-HVLP, pressurized pot

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE>RE-HVLP, pressurized pot
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 20 Dec 91 13:52:49
        Reply to:   RE>RE:HVLP, pressurized pot
Richard George writes,
 It seems to me that its a whole lot easier
problem to vent the air intake of the compressor to someplace safe,
and just assemble a Rube Goldberg conglomeration of regulators on a waist belt
(a drier, a regulator for the shooter and a regulator for the paint gun)...

**** The trouble with such a scheme, is that the air from your compresor tends
to have a significant amount of oil in it.  True, you can't have too much oil
without ruining the paint, but maybe your lungs can stand less oil than the
paint can.  Anyway, supplied-air respirator setups have their oil "oil-free"
compressors.

    Aside from that, I *have* thought of making up my own regulator belt,
putting a an air-drier and regulator on my belt instead of tacked onto the air
intake of the gun, as I now have them.  Quite a roostertail to be dragging
about at the end of that gun!   The load got to the point where the air inlet
pipe just broke off of my Taiwan-copy touchup gun.  I said "Okay, I'm richer
now, I can afford a genuine Binks gun"  I went to the paint store, and
_surprise,surprise_, the genuine Binks article costs over a hundred fifty
bucks!  So I went back home and epoxied the inlet pipe back on my Taiwan
touchup gun :-).  Well, at least the big gun is the Real Thing...

      One thing about remote-pot setups:  you need to use a good gun with them.
 See, since the paint is always under pressure, if the fluid nozzle of the gun
doesn't close good & tight, it'll go drip...drip...drip.  Whereas with a siphon
gun, the only thing getting the paint out of the cup, is the bernouilli effect
of the air rushing out of the air nozzle. So, no air == no drip.  I have a
cheap pressure pot setup that I got from my friend in exchange for a VW valve
seat grinder.  It drips just like I described.  Lucky I tried it out with water
first!  But with my good Binks gun it works fine.  Except for the quality
requirement, a siphon gun and a pressure-pot gun seem to be the same.

        - Jerry