Re: HVLP, pressurized pot

To: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV
Subject: Re: HVLP, pressurized pot
From: spit@neuro.duke.edu (Michael D. Burdick)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 91 15:03:58 EST
   > Don't some of these sytems have a pressure respirator for the operator
built in
   > to the system?  Sounds like the way to go for a serious shop.

Could be but I don't know.

   > >a pressurized pot and gets some of the "Low Pressure"
   > benefit (reduced overspray) of HVLP with a "conventional" setup
   >
   > I am really ignorant on this.  What is the deal?  I may want to shoot my
   > plastic car myself, but am not interested in poisioning myself with the
   > catalizer in the paint.

A pressurized pot is something you can use with your present spray gun.
The way it works is you connect the air supply to the pot and not the
gun.  You then have two hoses going from the pot to the gun.  One hose
has paint (under pressure) and the other has air to atomize the paint
as it leaves the nozzle.  Now, instead of having to siphon paint up from
the cup, paint is available at the nozzle under pressure so you can spray
at lower pressures.

                        __________/
              gun ->  /  ---------\
                     /  /      ||
                    /__/   /===/  <- paint under pressure in here
                    ||   //
 lower pressure   ->|| //  ____   <- air supply in here (I won't attempt to
             air    || || / -----        draw the regulators etc..)
                    || || ||
                    || || ||
                    || || ||
                   /--------\
                   |        |  <- 2qt. pot
                   |        |

I think that there is one in JC Whitney (with an illustration) with a cheap
gun.  Eastwood may also have them.  We got ours locally.  An added benefit
is that you no longer have a cup attached to the gun so you have alot more
freedom of movement.  The cup is 2 qt and hangs from a belt.

In this scenario, a separate air supply for breathing is used.  We have
a little direct driven air compressor placed outside the paint booth that
is hooked up to a "space suit" worn by the painter.

I hope this helps some.

=>mdb