British car prices

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: British car prices
From: btufts@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 16:31:05 EST
Salil sez:

Lotus:
 Esprit $79,000         More like $90,000 you may have been thinking about the
                        non SE which they don't import any more.
 Elan   $39,000         Closer to $40,000 metallic paint is additional.

I say:

It's my understanding that there's a $5K rebate program to the dealers to move
the Elans in this stalled market.  So currently expect to pay around $35K for
a new machine, and I've seen demos advertised for $29,900!

Esprits have always been discounted. Just take a look at all the Lotus dealers
prices in the back of autoweek sometime. It has been that way for at least 2 to
3 years.

BTW, you can get some real good deals on used Esprits these days. I've seen
a few Turbos listed for $19K !!! Even later model (87-88) are under $30K in
a few places. There's a lot of "motivated" sellers out there these days!
(The same can be said about houses)   No job, no toy!

-Bob T.