Re: Brake Down/Up

To: british-cars@hoosier, tsmith@plains.nodak.edu
Subject: Re: Brake Down/Up
From: sanders@triton.unm.edu
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 91 19:48:51 -0700
> Rear disk conversion for a B?????
> Where, how get, how much????

Its definitely a shadetree engineering job - not off the shelf. JFZ's  MGN
calipers just fit in the wheel if the mount is made correctly. THe .5" front
rotor from the MGB V8 fits the hub and handles more heat. The rear hats and
rotors are also JFZ. They sell a hat to fit Datsuns and this matches the rear
(wires) hub bolt pattern. The center needs to be widened to fit over the splines
but the clearance past the hub is just right. The 10 inch rotor bolts up to it
allowing decent clearance for the caliper. Tubing and fittings can be arranged.
The only real trick is the master cylinder/pedal assembly - unless you want to
muck with front rear proportioning valves. I had to make a small notch in the
existing MC recess to get clearance for a Tilton dual pedal/3MC unit. The
remote AP reservoirs are also a tight fit when the bonnet is closed. Working
up the caliper mounts can be variable in cost and reliability. I was happy for
the past few years on (front) mounts made from welded steel. Its pretty cheap
to do it that way but it is hard get the mating surfaces aligned exactly. You
also rely on the weld integrity. Now that I'm in the Land of Reasonable
Machine Shop Rates I had some nice thick aluminum mounts CNC machined.

As for cost... If I went out to do it all at once the parts would cost >1K. I
did it in stages over a couple of years so I didn't feel one big bite. I wasn't
particularly unhappy with the stock braking (tho' quality rear shoes are a bit
hard to find) but one can never have good enough braking. It's also somewhat
reassuring to have the F and R systems completely separate. It is also fun to
get it all to work together. I suppose some of the elements of the engine swap
discussion apply to brake mods.

So far, its been well worth the effort.

John Sanders