Brake Down/Up

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Brake Down/Up
From: sanders@triton.unm.edu
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 91 08:54:32 -0700
Off the stands and back on the road....
I finished the rear disk conversion of the 69 MGB (aka Monster) and took it
out for a spin. It was somewhat painfull getting all the fittings to not leak
(my hands are so beat up that it is hard to type) and I went through a bunch
of RedLine silicone in the various bleed iterations. The braking is much
improved as the quad piston JFZ's all around really clamp. I couldn't properly
tune the front/rear ratios since the (esp front) pads ran hot due to the drag
from the tight fit. Small adjustments of the balance bar should allow
optimization of the ratio - at least for dry pavement. I can now turn to the
handbrake implementation. I can also drive it down to the shop where the new
engine is being built.

Speaking of brakes...
I had a strange failure mode on the 68 MGB (aka Beast). When sitting outside
for the three weeks of my vacation, the fluid of the rear circuit of the single
master cylinder leaked out with little evidence of where it went. It worked for
two more days after a refill and bleed before disappearing again after sitting
over night. This time I had a "hot" trail to follow and the culprit has been
identified as the brake failure switch in the post-master-cylinder junction
block. I can see how the plastic may crack in the unfamiliar (for an ex-CA car)
New Mexico cold but having only the rear circuit drained is a bit odd.
Fortunately I had a spare junction (and rear cylinders) from the recently
transmorgrofied Monster and it can again transport me to the office.

John Sanders

P.S. After three week, I had 556 mail messages waiting for me -
most of it from this list. It took all week to get caught up!