Datsun vs. Miata performanc

To: british-cars@hoosier, datsun-roadsters@hoosier
Subject: Datsun vs. Miata performanc
From: "Bill Wessel" <bill_wessel@gene.biotech.wisc.edu>
Date: 16 Dec 91 15:59:50 U
                       Subject:                               Time:3:28 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          Datsun vs. Miata performance           Date:12/16/91

OK folks, as promised here's how the venerable old datsun roadster compares to
the young'un miata.

Car                    Datsun 1600        Datsun 2000      Solexed 2000
Miata
engine type      4 in line OHV  4 in line SOHC  4 in line SOHC  4 in line DOHC
bore & stroke   87.2 X 66.8     87.2 X 83.0          87.2 X 83.0      78.0 X
83.6
fuel delivery     2 X 38 mm     2 X 46 mm        2 X Mikuni      multi-port FI
                       Hitachi SU's   Hitachi SU's    solex 44PHH
horsepower         96 @ 6000       135 @ 6000       150 @ 6000     116 @ 6500
torque            103 @ 4000       132 @ 4400       138 @ 4800    100 @ 5500
compression          9.0:1                    9.5:1                     9.5:1

9.4:1
final drive            3.89:1               3.70:1                   3.70:1

4.30:1
curb weight           2085                   2110                      2006
        2205
test weight            2450                     n.a.                    2350

n.a.
0-60 sec.                 13.3                10.2                       9.8

?
1/4 mile                  19.9 @                   17.3 @
16.5 @            16.8
@
                          70 mph            79 mph             80 mph
83 mph
top speed                  101                 114                      124

116

I hope you can get the jist of the columns. Cutting and pasting from MS word
into Quickmail doesn't cut it (but it looks fine on my screen right now).

On the surface, it looks as thought the roadster should blow away the miata,
but it is quicker off the line due to it's rear end ratio and sleeker
coefficient of drag (so said the article in DRA). I got the roadster facts from
the shop manual and the Rallye catalogue insert which has reprints of the old
original test articles. If I got the miata facts wrong, that's because I don't
know beans about them. If they're still around in 20 years, then maybe I'll
consider buying one. For now, long live vintage roadsters!