Re: Japanese cars, Brit cars, Miata bashing.

To: British Cars <british-cars@hoosier>
Subject: Re: Japanese cars, Brit cars, Miata bashing.
From: sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1991 12:21:27 -0500
Bob Bownes scribed:

> few bought LBC's with the intention of devoting one's life to their care and
> feeding. As someone pointed out, they were mostly bought by consumers. I think

Many anyhow- many were enthusiasts. You had to be different to buy one of
them 'ferrin jobs back in the 50's & 60's, right?

Character does tend to emerge come with time. Both the passing of time, and
time and energy you spend on the bloody things. I've got an '86 Honda
Civic Si, which while great fun to drive, and reliable as the Rock of
Gebraltar, seemed to be pretty soul-less. This is now changing. It's
been off the road since April (due to the Alfa), and I've actually started
to miss it's willing, perky spirit. I'm working on it now, to drive in the
winter.  More than just tune-ups for the first time. Fixing the ravages of time,
salt, wear & tear, etc. You get closer to them when you spend that shop time
together; the blood, sweat, & beers.

}from gerry@speedy.att.com
> Overall, it is a very well thought out car, with exelent engineering.
> When it first came out my first thought was "This is something British
> Leyland should have made". I think it is a natural progression of the MG,
> Triumph of 1990's, with all its "good" characteristics.

Soemthing else which makes most modern sports car seem so different- many
of the affordable lbc's were made from the parts bins of the likes of
Austin, Morris, and Ford. This was what MG's & Triumphs were- just reguar
stuff, made better by the efforts of their creators, adding just the right
glue here and there. While Jaguar was more original, as the Miata is today,
they are still using the same engine design from the 50's!

So why aren't there any Miatas racing anyhow? It builds character!

Dennis Wilson scribed:
 Subject: Re: What does MG stand for ?
> MG = Morrisons Garage.

This, from an Ex-brit? Argh! :-)

Morris Garage, owned by William Morris seperatly from his Morris Motors
company, was the establishment where Cicel Kimber created his first specials
which he soon gave the name M.G.  The MG Car Company LTD was created in
1929 from these beginnings .

gerry@speedy.att.com scribed:
 Subject: MG & MOWOG

> As far as I remember, MG stood for Morris Garage, and MOWOG stood
> (stands(?)) for MOrris and WOlseley Garage

I've heard MOrris, WOlsley, mG. MOWOG was the foundry division of Morris
Motors, probably starting in the late 30's or 40's.

SU- formally Skinners Union, was also owned by Morris.

RG- Roger's Garage, AKA SLCFWSC. :-)
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett             (sggy@crux1.cit.cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | South Lansing Centre For
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | Wayward Sports Cars
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!