Jap cars, Brit cars, Miata bashing.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Jap cars, Brit cars, Miata bashing.
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1991 17:13 PST
First i would like to says that I disagree with some of what Jerry writes.
And I would also like to say that I send this reply with warm regards, not
"I want to get you".  OK???

Jerry says:The Miata has a *lot* of character.  That's why Mazda
can sell so many of them and make it "high production".

No its not character, firstly I think it was state of the art engineering with
a good price tag for the car you get.  ie it is about the only widely available
roadster which has todays technology and reliability.  Compared to almost any
of the older roadsters it has NO character just curves and good engineering
with I say again NO character.  but then again character is a matter of opinion.
>All right, we're British Car fanatics, so we shall be loyal to Merrie Olde
Englande.  Well, I've got news for you.  Merrie Olde abandoned us years ago.
If you want a cheery  little roadster, you have to go to the land of the rising
sun.

Yes in a way we were abamdoned BUT not quite, for example you can get cars like
the Hutson TF.  A handbuilt clasic car which looks like a MG TF but is built
with todays technology, yup some of it jap, but lots of brit.  It was designed
to be a car you can use every day but which the same maintainance as any of the
other new cars.  price tag of about 15,000 pounds for the special edition.
Which would be about $23,000 taking into account the huge UK car taxes etc.
But unlike the japs the brits will never mass produce the thing.

Also ever heard of the Super B???  You can get a super B now in UK: 280 bhp
0-60 in less than 6 seconds.  has a nice walnut dash (how much real wood has
thamiata??? ). So again todays technology in a sports car is available from UK.
But I don't think there are or will ever be another mass produced sports car
from UK, so I supose we have been abandoned.
The brits were way ahead in their day, but the japs copied at first then did it
better.  i should also add I think the super B is not that attractive.

I like lots of todays cars, comfort, performance, reliability, BUT I HAVE NOT
found any, and I mean ANY jap car which I think has character or nostalga or
pedegree or history.  Several of the new brit cars do eg. jag.  Almost all of
the old ones do.

Cheers DW