Brake Swaps

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Swaps
From: RCG1597@ZEUS.TAMU.EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1991 21:39:04 -0600 (CST)
         Short and to the point.  No, MGA&B brakes are not interchangeable.
While the disks themselves are the same diameter, the hub on the B was quite a
bit smaller.  This was probably due to the fact that MGBs had 14"wheels as
opposed to the 15" wheels that the A had.  So it also follows that no, the bolt
patterns are not the same either. I discovered this whilst trying to find a
turnable rotor to put on my A.  Useable (but used) rotors for the A are quite
rare, while Bs are plentiful, but alas they are different.  I agree with the
others'.  I believe it would be MUCH easier to merely get the brake setups from
a 1600. I don't know what it is like in the rest of the country,  but I've
checked almost all the shops in Texas and the disks are hard to come by. So if
you buy these things used, you had better make sure to check the rotor
thickness, as they must be greater than around .32".  Good luck.

*Rick Guynn -MG driver wanna-be.  *  MGA 1600 MkII                        *
*RCG1597@zeus.tamu.edu            *  Rebuild (complete) to be finished ?? *
*Texas A&M University             *                                       *
*Keeper of the eternal octagon    *                                       *
* a.k.a. The marque symbol that   *                                       *
*        refuses to die.          *                                       *