Elan (was Performance parts...)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Elan (was Performance parts...)
From: btufts@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 17:41:12 EST
Miq Millman sez:

I hate to burst your bubble (not really), but your Lotus is really just a
badge engineered Geo Storm/Isuzu Impulse.  There are a lot of other choices
out there for $38,000.  Just think you could have spent $17000 and gotten the
AWD version of the Impulse (same power plant as your lotus, same interior
too.) and had $21,000 to buy a Miata and a really nice chrome bumper MGB.

I just think its kind of ironic to hear you spouting off about your wonderful
british car, when its really another Japanese econo-rocket.  And an
overpriced one to boot.

I say:

An engine alone does not make a Lotus a Lotus.  True, the engine is based
on an Isuzu block, but with a Lotus head (Just like the old Ford TwinCam days).

I agree that for me, $38K is too much to pay, but the chassis design is
highly innovative (a Lotus trait) and hardly "another Japanese econo-rocket".
The Engine is Japanese, but the rest is all Lotus design. (a variety of
suppliers such as Lucus, GM, etc for various electrical bits). So I'd say it's
mostly
Lotus (of British decent) and a true LBC!

Maybe Miq forgot his smileys! :-)   either that or he hasn't cared to read
anything about the car, let alone drive it before making those statements!

-Bob T.