Winter-Break Repairs...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Winter-Break Repairs...
From: "Roy C. Wang" <rw0o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1991 13:13:56 -0500 (EST)

    Well, it's home for winter and home to the spit.  I can hardly wait
to start working on the thing again.  *SIGH*  The trouble with going to
school.  This hobby is getting kinda expensive not to mention
frustrating at times.  Anyway, I was thinking about ripping apart my
transmission and seeing if it's salvageable.  I drove it around this
summer for about a week with new thrust washers until they got spit out
as well, :(  Looks like it needs a little machine shop work.  Anyway, I
had problems with second gear.  It was grinding pretty badly at times
and I really had to slam it into gear a couple of times after playing
with the clutch and all.  It's a new clutch and a rebuilt slave cylinder
so I'm thinking Synchro-mesh here.  I was also thinking maybe the clutch
wasn't fully disengaging but first, third, and fourth seem to go in
pretty easily.  Is this unadvisable?  (it's also leaking like there's no
tommorow from the rear seal)

    Question 2.  I brought up the question of over-heating a while ago
and must ask this really quick question.  How does one test a water pump
and if coolant passages are blocked?  Even better, what do coolant
passages look like on the block itself?  (Am I sounding really clueless
here?  I'm actually pretty sure all the passages were clear but I want
to check how everyone else does this....)

    Question 3.  The recent valve setting discussion made me realize,
HEY!  when I took my rocker covers off, no oil was spitting in my
face........oh oh.....
Is this bad for a 1300 or is it normal and what would remedy the case?
New tappets or oil pump?

One last note about engine swaps.  I personally would find a car that I
modified and made work even more classy then buying someone else's work.
 I'm not talking about dropping a new 800 V-8 into a car and wondering
why the rear axle snapped.  I'm talking about taking what you like best
from a lot of diffrent technologies out there and making them work
together to make "YOUR CAR."  No one else truly has anything like it.  I
know when I get my car finally together and running with what it's
supposed to run with, I'll start thinking about changing the innards.
After all, if I can't get it to work with the tried and true methods,
there's no reason for me to even try experimenting with something that
took a team of engineers to figure out.  Right?

Well, it's going to be a short break.  Maybe this thing will run in two
more years....

    Thanx for any information you can pass my way guys.  Have a great
Holiday season and don't drink and drive!

                                                        Ray