Engine swaps ... again, again, again

To: "british-cars@autox.team.net"@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: Engine swaps ... again, again, again
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder - lesnyd@monsanto.com - (314)694-3626)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 91 12:06:56 -0600
You know, if I want to drive a car that will make Miatas eat my dust,
I'll go get some kind of muscle care with a big hairy engine like the
old Mustangs or something.

When I bought my first LBC, a '70 GT6+, all my peers were buying Mustangs
or Camaros, or the poorer ones were jacking up the rear ends of their
Ford Mavericks. To me, the Triumph was a car with *finesse*, something
that represent much more than brute power. It was a thinking man's car
(as much as I thought at 19 years old), and showed a certain *elan* on
the part of the owner (no, not Lotus).

So when I read about stuffing 427 hemis into Spitfires, I kind of think
it's like putting a jukebox in St. Paul's Cathedral.

I want my TR250 to look like one I just drove out of the showroom, nothing
more, nothing less. I want to enjoy a car that was a ball to drive *stock*.
To me, the perfect LBC is one that looks like a new LBC. To that end, I don't
even think a concours finish looks "right" on a Triumph. A decent paint job,
one that looks like the factory paint job, is "right".

I want to preserve my LBC as an example of what, at one time, could be
bought and enjoyed by the average guy...

(Stepping off my soapbox)

Larry