Quick starter question

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Quick starter question
From: "Roy C. Wang" <rw0o+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1991 13:20:02 -0500 (EST)
Whoops almost forgot.  I've had the hardest time with my starter.  Where
the battery connects to the starter, there's a bolt with two arms at the
other end.  These go to the field coils.  For some unknown reason, the
contact between the field coils and the arms are shot.  I've tried
soldering them together but that doesn't seem to work.  I've clamped the
arms tighter and that fixed the problem for about ten cranks or so.  The
piece is a little loose and moves a little bit but I just can't seem to
figure out any long term solution.  I finally resorted to leaving the
cover loose and playing with the connection when the starter quits on
me.  Anyone else run into this problem?  Any ingenious solutions out
there?