Re: engine swap - Buick/Rover V8

To: british-cars@hoosier, southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU
Subject: Re: engine swap - Buick/Rover V8
From: mason@ftp.com (Quark Mason)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 91 16:41:25 -0500
On the subject of GT6 -> spit engine swaps:
I've never owned a Spit, I never drove or wrenched my GT6 much, but when
I sold my GT6 (30K miles on the drivetrain with wires and OD, multiply
perforated body) all the people I spoke to wanted to drop a spit body onto
it. The word from them is that you can actually drop a GT6 motor into a
spit but you'll have to update the brakes and suspension as well, the GT6
might have a stronger frame but I don't know about that, and that makes it
more economical to just buy a rusty GT6 and use its chassis.
Plus, I heard from a couple of people that you *can* put a TR6 gearbox
(much stronger than the GT6 'box), but you have to get the right year
of engine, engine plate and gearbox or it won't shift.
*And*then*, he said, if you've gone that far (and he popped the hood open
at this point and started pointing) you might as well drop a whole TR6
motor in. But then the suspension's not up to par again, so...