Battery conversion on a B GT.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Battery conversion on a B GT.
From: Dennis Wilson <DWILSON@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1991 11:30 PST
I swaped the two 6volts for one 12volt this weekend.  It was actually very
easy.  I used an AC DELCO battery which measured 8inches (8 1/2 inches if you
consider the carrying handle) by about 61/2.  It slotted PERFECTLY into one
onf the holes which one 6V comes from.  Well almost perfectly, I wanted to
cushion it with some rubber strips so I pushed the hole open alittle with a
sizor jack, I mean only about 1/4 inch.
There was even a ready drilled hole for the earth strap.  I chose the AC DELCO
battery because:  The guy I spoke to at Sears was a real wanker, the AC battery
have the same specs (eg 525 cold crak amps and 60 month warrenty) was sealed
for life, had a carrying handle (very imp. as you can't get your hands down
their
to get it out so you need a handle) had a built in hydrometer, and cost only
$35 (I got a good deal at Costco as regular price is $60) compared to $60
for a Sears Die Hard.

The car starts great now.

Cheers DW