Re: Jacking points

To: datsun-roadsters@hoosier,
Subject: Re: Jacking points
From: trifid@agora.rain.com (Roadster Racewerks)
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 91 01:07 PST
>From our racing experience, we found the safest and fastest way to get the
>whole
car off the grund was to jack it up in the middle of one side, place the stands,
and jack up the other side. You do have to *observe* the stands in any case,
because once in a while they will "creep" if the jack wheels fail to roll for
any reason! In case of tilting, you have to put the car down and start over, as
it may fall over. I find using the diff. as a point is impossible on a lowered
car, as the gas tank keeps you from operating the jack handle.

You can also use the ends of the swaybar mounts, if in good condition, the
center of the lower A arm spindle, and either end of the leaf spring where it
is bolted down. the best balance point is on the side where the original jack
hole is. just NEVER use the original jack! The jack can pivot if the car slips
at all, and its tendency is to fall so that it leaves a *huge* semi-circular
gouge in your door! The Japanese engineers thought they were improving the
design by making the jack tine pivotable, but if you want to use the "real"
jack, weld it so that it can't swivel at all. This is one case where the
original English design was the correct one!

Suze