Jacking points

To: datsun-roadsters@hoosier
Subject: Jacking points
From: "Bill Wessel" <bill_wessel@gene.biotech.wisc.edu>
Date: 6 Dec 91 11:53:36 U
                       Subject:                               Time:11:43 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Jacking points                         Date:12/6/91
The Brit-car list has been discussing safety issues.

Wayne wrote:
What are generally usable jack points for older cars?  I usually
figure that anywhere under the frame of a separate-frame car is fair
game.  I know people often put a floor jack under the differential.
Are there other standard points which are usually safe (both for the
car and for the worker) to place a jack or jackstand?

For my roadsters, I always jack the front up first (with the hand brake on, of
course), placing the floor jack under the large front cross member. I place the
stands under the frame at the point where it flattens out past the wheel arch.
Then I go to the rear and jack up under the diff., placing the stands under the
rear axle. Stand height is adjusted so that the car is level. Just for added
security, I place the wheels (when they're not in my way) under the frame so if
it all did come down, it would come down on them and not me.

Try to remember to loosen the wheel nuts before you start :-)..........Bill