Re: The future of Sports Car Restoration

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: The future of Sports Car Restoration
From: andyh@hcxio.hdw.csd.harris.com (Andy Haber)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 16:51:30 EST

> Re: Miatas...
>
> Basically, I'm not impressed. Maybe after they've been running for 20 years...
>
> John Sanders

I used to car pool to work with a coleague of mine.  When I bought my '69
MGB three years ago, which I did car pool in, he asked be why I bought
such an old car.  I told him so I would have something to work on and fix
up.  When Miatas came out, he asked me what I thought of those.  My reply
ways:

"Well, I think it's nice to know that in 20 years there will still be
 something 20 years old that I can buy to work on and fix up."  :-)

I worry about the electronic parts in these cars though.  My MGB has
*NO* electronics in it.  The only semiconductors I can think of are
the diodes in the alternator, and those can be replaced.  Everything
else is wire or plastic or metal or glass and can (at least in theory)
be fabricated if no one can or will sell it to me.  But if you have
a 20 year old Miata, and the ECU for the fuel injection goes bad,
that you just can't make a new one of.  If Mazda doesn't have any more
and you can't find one in a junk yard, your rather stuck. :-(
--
Andy Haber    (andyh@hdw.csd.harris.com)
Harris Computer Systems Division, Ft Lauderdale, FL