RE>Bug Defense

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Bug Defense
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 15 Feb 91 15:36:37
        Reply to:   RE>Bug Defense
Roland Dudley writes:

One more confession:  About 2 years ago the oil slick in from of my
house was getting so out of hand...

   So did mine.  As a matter of fact, the thing was losing a quart of oil every
week.  The
whole engine was an oily mess ( yuchh ).  Of course being a "VW from Hell", the
engine was covered in that @#$%^ cowling and much misc sheetmetal.  I gunked
off everything I
could get to, started it up, and decided that the leak was from the oil cooler.
 Did you
know, that to replace the oil cooler, you have to take off the fan shroud?
Does anyone know what that entails?  Anyway, I replaced the oil cooler with one
out of the junque, used new o-rings, degreased everything, and put it all back
together.  Started it up.

          DRIP DRIP DRIP.

    It turned out that the leak was the Oil Pressure Sender Unit.  I cleaned
off the top of it,  put on my hearing protectors ( no exhaust system) and
started 'er up.  I almost clapped for joy when I saw the oil welling up around
that spade lug in the middle.  This was last week.  God help me if I ever buy
another car with the engine squirreled away in
some odd corner for "efficiency".  Give me an engine compartment out front,
with its own hood!

     - Jerry Kaidor