speedo gears

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: speedo gears
From: sanders@pogo.lanl.gov (John A. Sanders)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:25:50 MST
The recent discussion of speedos reminded me of one of my least favorite
MGB parts - the crummy little drive gears that are on each end of the
cable. When I first got my 68 MGB (back in 77) the drive gear promptly stripped
out. This initiated my first frustrating experience with getting behind the
dash. It amazes me how the factory could even assemble that miserable dash bolt
up behind the gauges and above the steering bracket. Anyway... the (then) $50
replacement lasted for almost two weeks. I haven't replaced it since. (beware
of MG's showing low miles!) After some mildly effective patches with foil and
glue, the speedo gear on the 69 has given it up. Now that I have moved to a
land of Highway Radar (unlike CA) I'm more interested in my actual cruising
speed.

The listed part prices (Moss etc) I have seen are really steep - anyone know
of a reasonable source or a chearper equivalent?

Re: Miatas...
I can't understand why everyone is so keen on them. They look like a kit car
version of a Lotus (no matter what color you paint them), Offer only middle
class performance, and cost a heck of
a lot of money. As far as reliability goes, for the money, I can have two
pristine BritCars (fault-tolerance).  My experience hasn't convinced me that
LBCs are particularly unreliable given reasonable maintainence. I think this
concept is started by people who don't think of checking their oil until the
red light comes on.  Just because it is new and Japanese
doesn't mean that nothing goes wrong. When it does ... parts/service
(user-serviceable??) make Moss look like a charitable organization.

Basically, I'm not impressed. Maybe after they've been running for 20 years...

John Sanders