Re: Buy British, not German

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Buy British, not German
From: augi@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 91 14:12:43 EDT
Akkana writes:

> While I've also heard lots of Rabbit/Scirocco Bosch horror stories, my
> own experience with Bosch has been very positive.  But, of course,
> that's in contrast with Marelli.  I think while Bosch parts on a
> German car assume they can relax and slack off, Bosch parts on an
> Italian car realize their position of importance, perk up and
> work hard to make up for the Marelli parts on the rest of the car.
> I would think that might hold for British cars, too.

Late model (maybe from about '80 on) Jaguars have all Bosch relays (even
though they have a cheap stick on label that says Lucas stuck on top of
the stamped metal Bosch logo), and all Jag's with fuel injection have a
lot of Bosch in the engine bay.  The relays are genuninely no better than
Lucas, and as far as the fuel injection componentry, ask someone with an
XJS about their Bosch thermo-time switch some time.  Oddly enough, the
fuel injection on the six cylinder engines is completely reliable.  Go
figure.

                                                Joe